Self-Employed: Allowable Business Expenses

If you are Self-Employed it is really important to understand which expenses are allowable as it can reduce the amount of tax you have to pay.
Business expenses are only tax allowable if they are ‘wholly, necessarily and exclusively’ incurred in the performance of your business. So if you are a Self Employed Marketing Consultant and pay for programs like Hootsuite to manage your clients Twitter, then the monthly cost of this subscription will be an allowable expense. Or say you are a Self Employed Web Developer and have to travel to a meeting with a client, then the cost of travel will also be an allowable expense.

Common Self-Employed Business Expenses:

  • cost of goods bought for re-sale or cost of raw material used
  • salaries, wages, bonuses and pensions
  • car and van insurance, repairs, servicing, fuel, parking for business use vehicles
  • rent for business premises, business and water rates, light, heat, power and property insurance
  • marketing; advertising, email campaigns, website costs
  • phone and internet costs
  • trade or professional journals and subscriptions
  • accountants, solicitor’s and other professional fees
  • bank, overdraft and credit card charges
It’s also common for self-employed businesses to buy something for business use but also use it personally, for example a laptop. In these types of cases HMRC allows a claim for the portion of the item being used for the business. So if for example you use your laptop 60% of the time for business use and the other 40% for personal things like shopping then you would be able to claim for 60% of the cost of the laptop is an allowable expense against your taxes.

All expenses must be supported by a receipt, so make sure you keep hold of all your paper or emailed receipts. It is also really important to be aware of which expenses are allowable for your business because incorrect claims can result in penalties. If you are unsure, we provide a Business Consultation to fulfill all your business needs.

For any assistance contact Companies999, we will be happy to help you!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *